When I was a little kid my daddy was Santa Claus. That was a long long long time ago.
We always had a tree if we were close enough to get one. Daddy liked to go cut our trees and took us kids with him. It was always a merry time. We didn’t have a lot of decorations until after Rosemary got big enough to take a hand in it. Then we decorated. She was a busy little gal.
Daddy always made sure we had gifts. I remember getting dolls. And we got a hand sled for the family. I don’t know… we always got something if I can remember it or not. My Mama would make it; my Mama was a pretty good little maker.
An orange a piece for Christmas was just wonderful. Of course we got more than an orange, but then we always had an orange in our sock. An orange when I was little was big as a grapefruit is now, maybe not quite, but they were whoppers. Now there’re different sizes, they sort them or something.
There was always a game that we would share. And Rosemary and I each had a doll in our sock. I don’t know what Dale had, probably an engine of some sort. Don’t know… when he was little, they wouldn’t near as enginey as they were later. 87 years ago there was quite a bit of difference in kid’s toys.
Girls have always had dolls, every since Grandma had to make them. After I got big enough to whittle, my brothers had all kinds of guns. I had my stick horse and what ever it took to go with it and guns – wooden guns.
There was always a Christmas dinner. For dinner we would have chicken or turkey or maybe a big beef roast.
Always we had Christmas. It didn’t matter what it was. Mama and Daddy too would always manage that we had Christmas. And that is about all I can say for it.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love it!!!! I love the story and how it must have come down the generations too. Oranges and gifts.
Post a Comment