Friday, March 14, 2008

Flashback Friday -I was born October 31, 1913.

That was a very long time ago.

I was born at my Aunt Rachel’s house. It was on the corner of Sixth and B in Baker City, Oregon. The doctor’s name was Dr. Huff. He was the doctor that took care of all of us.

I don’t know how long Mama waited for me to be born. But my Grandmother Gilkison (Mama’s mother) passed away on October 13th in Keating. Mama couldn’t go to her funeral because I was sticking out about that far. She was expecting me any minute.

Mama was not 5 foot tall. She was a little runt. She very seldom got up to 100, except when she was carrying me. I weighed 11 ½ pounds. I was a whopper. They said I was as fat as a butterball.

I was born on Halloween. Mama told me the neighborhood kids Tick Tacked the bedroom window while I was being born.

Tick Tacking was a Halloween trick. I can’t remember exactly how we did it. But I know we took an empty spool of thread and notched around the edges. Then we put a stick thru it, attached a string and put it on the window. Somehow when you pulled the string, it would make a clacking sound on the window. That was called tick tacking.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I think throwing tick tack at the window would have been easier :)

LAYTON FAMILY said...

I didn't know GG was 11 1/2 pounds! UGH...reminds me of Austin & Grant, but worse. Poor GGG!

jlcumber said...

I totally thought of Tick tacks too...and then remembered they probably didn't have those back then. )

Sam said...

Thanks for sharing, Gram. Amazing that you are so tiny and were a whopper of a baby! We Love you!