Thursday, March 20, 2008

Flashback Friday - I was named Hilda Dorothy Jones

Jones was a very common name when I was growing up, but I don’t hear it as often anymore.

Aunt Carrie named my older sister Rosemary. I always thought it was a prettier name than Hilda. I didn’t like it much as a kid. But I don’t mind it now… I guess I got used to it.

Aunt Carrie was my daddy’s oldest sister. She had had 2 baby girls that didn’t make it. Their names were Louella and Hilda. I suppose that’s were the Hilda came from. But I don’t know where it came from originally.

Dorothy Blake was a little girl who lived across the street from Aunt Rachel. She would push Rosemary around in her doll buggy. So when I was born Rosemary said, “Call her Dortee, call her Dortee.” So I got the middle name Dorothy.

My Grandmother Gilkison’s name was Pheobe Caroline. Mama didn’t care for the Pheobe, but she wanted to name me Phyllis Caroline. She passed out during my birth and when she woke up I had been named Hilda Dorothy.

If that would have been me, I would have told the whole lot to go to hell. That was my baby and I was naming her Phyllis Caroline. But she was not that kind of a person.

I don’t much care for the name Phyllis anyway.

My nickname was Hid. I was Hid for years. I thought I was out there in plain site. I did not know I was hid.
When my youngest brother Burl was born he started that Hid stuff. He was 10 years younger than me.
Everybody call me Hid. It was easier to say Hid than it was Hilda. And I don’t think it made much difference to me. My memory’s not that good. I don’t know if I objected or not, but I don’t think I did. It wouldn’t have done any good with my family anyway.

I don’t think my daddy called me Hid. I think he must have just called me..... YOU.
Hey, You... or You stop that… or You… what ever.
My mama called me Honey. Rosemary was Sister and I was Honey. But the whole Fam Damily called me Hid.

Dick said he’d call me Dot and I said I wouldn’t answer him – PERIOD. That must have taking care of it, cause he didn’t call me Dot. Well, what kind of a name is Dot? I didn’t want to be called Dot. I was Hid. I had been Hid all my life.

8 comments:

Roger said...

GG and I love writing these stories for you. And she loves to hear your comments.
Amy, you were right it has been very therapeutic. I think for both of us.

LAYTON FAMILY said...

I keep telling Jen to name her next baby girl Dot Komp after GG. After reading this, I'm not sure GG would like that. "What kind of name is Dot?" Maybe Jen could name her Hid instead.

Jan said...

Let the kid have its own name.

jlcumber said...

Hmmmm...I guess I could have said "it is my baby, I will name her whatever I want", but her comments don't ever bother me. :) she is a funny honey!

Amy said...

I like Dot. She'll wrinkle her nose either way, so name her Hilda and deep down she'll love it. Somebody needs to do it, if I had to use Clifford, someone needs to use Hilda. At least it's not a big red dog.

Thanks for sharing!

Thayer & Associates said...

I think I need to call GG Honey from now no. I like it.

Rhoda said...

I love Grandma's stories! She didn't know she was hid.... cracks me up!!!

Sam said...

That is funny...she thought she was in plain sight! GG, she's a crack up!