Six foot Two and quite a nice looking guy.
I could stand under his chin…
but then… I’m not very high.
I HAD to make a poem out of that.
He was a very very good dancer. And I loved to dance so we done a lot of that… quite a lot. I thought he was the best guy who ever lived so what else can I say about him.
He was way up there. He was a foot taller than me. I came to his shoulder… Just about to his shoulder. And he was wide. He was a big man. And every inch of him was dear.
I’m not a tall person. I thought I was average. Dick would laugh and say, “One of ‘em average people.” He thought I was short. But I told him it didn’t hurt him to lean down to kiss me. Sometimes he could be ornery as heck, but he was still a very dear fellow. I think I was fortunate to have him.
Somebody’s always got something about somebody that they don’t approve of or something but I think most people liked Dick. He was a good natured man.
But if he got mad, you’d better scram. I suppose he got mad at me a lot of times but he never got mad enough to hit me. If he yelled at me, I yelled back. Sometimes he would have liked to paddle me I think, but he didn’t.
He was handsome. He was a big fellow. He was 6’2”. But his eyes weren’t blue they were green. But anyway he was a nice looking man.
I won’t say he was overly ambitious because I don’t think he was. I don’t remember him as being. He liked to sleep. He was a good worker when he needed to work. Something he liked to do… that was fine. But to push himself… he didn’t. But work was not easy to get in those days. He was a sheep herder. So, he had been used to spending his summers in the mountains in Northeastern Idaho where it goes into Canada. Can you imagine? Go up there and herd sheep?
Yep, he was a sheep herder. I think he slept most of the time so he was a pretty good sheep herder; he just let the dogs do it. But he could go back to the same company and work any time he wanted to. So he must have done alright.
His dad was hurt and Dick had to support him. He had to bring him the money that they lived on. And there was no money in them days. You could work for your living but they handed you out the cash you didn’t, they didn’t, we didn’t, he didn’t… whatever, nobody did.
He wasn’t the most ambitious person in the world but he sure was a lovable one. That was my Dick.
I don’t know what else to say about him. That’s what I thought most about him.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yes, he was tall, good looking, and good natured and he enjoyed a good nap. He deeply loved his family and their families. I only knew him for 6 years before he died, but I saw the love he had for your grandma and I know it is eternal.
So that's where I get my deep desire to nap. Some of the tall, good looking, good natured part would have been nice too. I'd trade a lot to be able to remember him, though!
Good post!
But I bet he remembers you.
BLAH! This is going to make me cry! Wish we all got to meet him. I am sure he knows all of us! Remember ... he rocked us before we were born right?
I will ask him to play Solo with me the moment I meet him in heaven. Also, I will ask him what he has in his coffee. I am glad you feel blessed to have had him in your life, Gram. I think you were both blessed to have one another.
Yes, I think that's the way we both felt about it.
I just read these comments to GG today. It's taken me this long to be able to keep my composure when I read them. Thanks girls - you are the greatest.
Post a Comment